Welcome to Govt Degree College Chekesar,Shangla
Chakesar is a far flung place in Shangla. It is a Hindi word and means pinnacle of the landed estate. Inspite of the lack of the basic facilities of life and surrounded by sky high monolithic mountains, this graceful village had a special educational value since times immemorial. After a few decades of the inception of a High school in 1960 by the Founder of Ex-state of Swat, this village was a place where the students of the surrounding areas came and quenched their thirst for knowledge.
With the passage of time awareness was born in the minds of the people for further higher education. The establishment of Government College is an unforgettable success in the history of Chakesar. In September, 1977 a few students took admission in the small building of a Government Primary School and in this way, the College started working temporarily in that building. Its’ first group appeared in the Intermediate Examination for the first time. Luckily, the result was 24% whereas, the Board combined result was 13%.After that the College took strides towards progress. Proposals for its’ permanent building underwent approval and refusal. Anyhow, the foundation stone was laid at last in 1987 on a tract of land in the north of Chakesar Town and the teaching work started in the new building in 1990.
The College main building consists of six rooms in which staff room, library and lecture rooms are included. The Science Block is adjacent to the Academic section where the instruments, retorts and chemicals used in the experiments are placed. Till 1993, only Arts subjects were taught in the college. It was an embarrassing problem for the Science students of Matriculation because due to lack of means, they could not get admission in other colleges outside Chakesar and had to take admission in Arts, unwillingly. Science classes started in the college in 1993 by the grace of God. It is hoped that the students will take full benefit of it and now, they will not have to go away for Science subjects.
The following Principals contributed their full share turn by turn to the uplift of the college since its’ inception in 1977.
- Prof: Bakhtiar Ahmad. 1977 -1982
- Prof: Hazrat Rahim. 1982 -1984
- Prof: Haji Nawab (Late) 1984 -1988
- Prof: Mohammad Sharif. 1988 -1988
- Prof: Mohammad Ilyas. 1988 -1990
- Prof: Noor Mohammad. 1990 -1992
- Prof: Mohammad Ayaz. 1992 – 1992
- Prof: Qazi Saiful Haq. 1993 -1994
- Prof: Abdul Jabbar. 1994 -1995
- Prof: Mian Mohib Jan. 1995 -1997
- Prof: Mohammad Hiraj. 1996 -1998
- Prof: H. Jamshid Khan. 1998 -1999
- Prof: Shujaul Mulk. 1999 -2003
- Prof: Fazle Subhan Afghani. 2003 -2006
- Prof: Bakht Rawan. 2006- 2009
- Prof: Mubarak Khan. 2009- 2011
- Prof: Bakht Rawan. 2011- 2012
- Prof: Mehr Zaman. 2012- 2013
- Prof: Bashir Ahmad. 2013- 2014
- Prof: Sardar Alam. 2014- 2016
- Prof: Bakht Rawan. 2016-
They were the pioneers who left no stone unturned in the betterment of this august institution. The college pays tribute to these builders who contributed their full share in keeping this torch of light burning and bringing it at par with other colleges. The noble part played by them is worthy to be written in golden words.